Maurice Marinot (1882–1960) studied painting at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, and he exhibited regularly at the Salon d’Automne and the Salon des Indépendants from 1905 to 1913. Near his home in Troyes was a glass factory owned by his friends Eugène and Gabriel Viard. During a visit to that factory, Marinot was introduced to glassworking. He was intrigued by the molten material, and he exhibited his first work in glass, along with his paintings, in 1911. From 1913 until 1937, Marinot worked at the Viards’ factory, located in the town of Bar-sur-Seine.