Carafe with Stopper

Object Name: 
Carafe with Stopper

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Carafe with Stopper
Place Made: 
Accession Number: 
97.2.8
Dimensions: 
Overall H: 30.4 cm, W: 12.4 cm, Diam: 12 cm
Location: 
On Display
Date: 
about 1862
Web Description: 
One of the most prolific and innovative 19th-century English glasshouses was operated by Apsley Pellatt. In 1820, he patented his “crystallo-ceramie” process, which improved on the French method of making sulphides (small ornamental objects of white porcelain-like material, made to be encased in glass). Later, he published Curiosities of Glassmaking, which supplied information about glass manufacturing and decorating techniques. Pellatt’s Falcon Glassworks in London produced quality lead glass tableware and lighting devices. Some of this company’s best works were displayed in London at the world’s fairs of 1851 and 1862. This exquisitely engraved lead glass carafe, which is signed “Pellatt” under a crown at the base of the handle, was shown at the 1862 exposition. The body of the vessel is decorated with three cartouches enclosing arabesques. The cartouche beneath the spout depicts a stylized round table with five Venetian Renaissance glasses.
Department: 
Provenance: 
Velmerig, Hans-Gunter, Former Collection
1997-05-08
Color: 
Inscription: 
PELLATT
Signature
Under a crown at the base of the handle
Primary Description: 
Colorless lead glass; blown, tooled, cut, engraved, polished; engraved carafe and stopper of colorless lead glass, with ovoid body, tubular neck, trefoil spout, S-shaped handle, and a domed foot. Signed at the base of the handle "PELLATT" under a crow. The body of the vessel is decorated with three cartouches enclosing arabesques. Two of these ornaments consist of elegant floral sprays and scrolls with fruit and nesting birds. The cartouche beneath the spout depicts a stylized round table displaying five glasses. The furthest to the left is a small pedestal vase decorated with pincered decoration, reminiscent of vessels made by Jacopo Verzelini in the 17th century. The next two glasses recall the serpent-stemmed goblets from the Venetian Renaissance, followed by a fluted goblet with engraved decoration around the base of the bowl, and a small footed bowl with scalloped rim.
London International Exhibition
The Corning Museum of Glass: A Decade of Glass Collecting 1990-1999 (2000) illustrated, p. 32, #35, top right; BIB# 65446
The Corning Museum of Glass Annual Report 1997 (1998) illustrated, p. 3;
Recent Important Acquisitions, 40 (1998) illustrated, cover, frontispiece; BIB# AI40492
Illustrated Catalogue of the International Exhibition, 1862 (1862) illustrated, p. 14, ill., upper right group, center front; BIB# 27559