The Corning Wall

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Window
Title: 
The Corning Wall
Accession Number: 
74.4.186
Dimensions: 
Overall H: 199.4 cm, W: 125.8 cm
Location: 
On Display
Date: 
1974
Web Description: 
This wall panel was begun at the Pilchuck Glass School in Washington State during the summer of 1974. The school was founded in 1971 by Chihuly and Seattle art patrons John and Anne Gould Hauberg. From its start as a glassblowing camp, Pilchuck has become a leading international summer school for artists working in glass. The Corning Wall is an excellent example of how historic methods of working and using glass were redefined by studio artists. Instead of making a traditional stained glass window, Chihuly and Carpenter blew multiple elements that were then cut, assembled, and leaded. The combination of cold (cutting and assembling) and hot (blowing) processes, and the integration of sculptural (three-dimensional) elements in a flat (two-dimensional) panel, were considered experimental at the time. The panel also makes reference to traditional European windows, which were made from blown roundels rather than from flat sheets of glass. This panel was designed for The Corning Museum of Glass. The initials “F.L.,” for “Flood Line,” refer to the devastating 1972 flood that swept through the city of Corning. The thick white line beneath the letters marks the height to which the floodwaters rose inside the Museum. Since the panel was made, however, it has been moved, and the flood line is no longer valid. However, it continues to serve as an important reminder of a period in the Museum’s history that will never be forgotten.
Department: 
Provenance: 
Chihuly, Dale (American, b. 1941), Source
1974
Carpenter, James ((American, b. 1949)), Source
1974
Category: 
Material: 
Inscription: 
C&C/1974
Mark
Primary Description: 
Transparent light blue-green iridescent non-lead glass with red and brownish-red inclusions, grayish-black lead channeling; blown, fabricated, assembled. Three vertical panels of geometric roundels with Kugler color "drawings"; 12 roundels with hollow "doughnut-like" shapes at middle.
Toledo Glass National III
Venue(s)
Corning Museum of Glass 1971 through 1971
Chihuly (2013) illustrated, p. 212 (fig. 10); BIB# 137572
Kiln Forming Glass (2010) illustrated, p. 28; BIB# 110657
Modern and contemporary art glass (2006) illustrated, slide 35; BIB# 130418
Glass in Architecture: An Interview With Dale Chihuly and James Carpenter (1975-08) pp. 26-33, front cover, back cover;
Recent Important Acquisitions, 17 (1975) illustrated, p. 175, #40; BIB# AI91035
Toledo Glass National, III (1970) 24 p.; BIB# 20942