Electric Lamp

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Electric Lamp
Accession Number: 
96.4.157
Dimensions: 
Overall H: 73.7 cm
Location: 
On Display
Date: 
about 1900-1915
Web Description: 
Another impressive lighting device in the Corning collection is a large electric lamp that was made in the early 20th century. Six lamps in this style are known, and all of them are cut with the same pattern. So far, the manufacturer has not been positively identified. One of these lamps was purchased in Chicago in the late 1930s or early 1940s, and another belonged to the pianist-entertainer Liberace, who seems to have acquired it in the 1950s. The other examples have been found in various locations around the country, so it does not seem likely that they are part of a set. The large size of these lamps suggests that they were used either in a spacious home or perhaps in the lobby of a hotel. In the home, only a very impressive parlor table could have accommodated such a lamp.
Department: 
Provenance: 
Folb, Martin A., Source
1996-07-15
Category: 
Primary Description: 
Colorless lead glass, silver-plated metal; mold-blown, cut; metal: cast, plated. Multi-part lamp with (a) an inverted trumpet-shaped glass base, cut in a pattern of 3 large pinwheels with hobstars in between and prism cutting on upper half which has a metal collar on top ending in a hemisphere; (b) is a silver-plated ring which has a hemisphere in the center which screws into the base, forming a sphere when it is correctly put together. The ring has four S-curved branching arms which end in electrical sockets and fittings, and a double electrical socket at the top; the arms have a row of close beading, as does the rim; (c) is a central domed shade cut in a pattern of 4 pinwheels with a hobstar in the center base and 4 smaller hobstars between the pinwheels, which rests on the ring; (d, e, f and g) are four globular shades slightly pointed at the lower end and cut in three large in wheels which fill sides and a hobstar at the lower end. The ring and arms are hung with 34 smaller and 62 lager tripartite cut prisms. The cut pinwheels on the base and all five shades have an unusual center which is a small star surrounded by overlapping squares.
Recent Important Acquisitions, 39 (1997) illustrated, p. 178, #41; BIB# AI5243
The Corning Museum of Glass Annual Report 1996 (1997) illustrated, p. 12;