As settlers moved west to the Alleghenies, they created a new market for glassware. But because glass was difficult to ship overland, many had to do without it in their windows and on their tables until the glass industry itself moved west. Pittsburgh was an ideal location for manufacturing because of its river transportation to the entire western frontier and because of its nearby coal deposits as a ready source of fuel. For many years, Benjamin Bakewell operated the largest glass factory in Pittsburgh. It was noted for its fine tableware. In 1817, when President Monroe wanted cut glass for the White House, he ordered it from Bakewell’s. Although that factory is known to have made engraved glass in the early 19th century, relatively few such pieces can be attributed to it. One of them is this footed bowl.