This pattern was patented by Philip McDonald for T. G. Hawkes in 1882. It was the first pattern to be patented by the firm which had been founded in March, 1880. The pattern is not named in the patent, and it has only recently been identified. It is an extremely rare pattern, and it was probably cut for only a few years. To add to the confusion, Dorothy Daniels, in her book on American cut and engraved glass, identified the pattern patented by MacDonald as the “Russian” pattern, a mistake which has been repeated over and over again. The Russian pattern was cut by Hawkes from 1881 but it was cut by several other firms as well and it was never patented.