Unsatisfied with the limited techniques practiced and taught in American studio glass in the 1960s, studio glass pioneer Richard Marquis went to the Venini glassworks on Murano in 1969. There, he observed and worked with some of the most talented glass masters in the world. He later shared his knowledge of historic Italian techniques, such as murrine (mosaic) and filigrana (filigree), by demonstrating and teaching at workshops throughout the United States and Australia. This murrine vessel, called a Marquiscarpa, was named in honor of the renowned Venetian architect Carlo Scarpa (1906–1978). Scarpa’s most famous designs in murrine were produced at the Venini glassworks from 1932 to 1940. This is one of the first Marquiscarpas made by the artist.