Panel with the Arms of Escher vom Glas

Object Name: 
Panel with the Arms of Escher vom Glas

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Panel with the Arms of Escher vom Glas
Accession Number: 
83.3.245
Dimensions: 
Overal H: 38.9 cm, W: 31.1 cm
Location: 
On Display
Date: 
1500-1510
Web Description: 
During the Renaissance, European craftsmen made small panels composed of thin, flat glass panes that were painted and stained. Especially popular were panels decorated with family crests and images copied from engravings. Most of these objects were built into leaded windows, or suspended from chains or cords in front of them. This panel depicts two coats of arms, one belonging to the Escher vom Glas family of Zurich. The panel was probably crafted in the workshop of Lukas Zeiner, one of the most talented glass painters working in Switzerland in the 16th century.
Department: 
Provenance: 
Rainer Zietz Limited, Former Collection
1983
Primary Description: 
Colorless, transparent red, amber, blue, amethyst, green non-lead glass; sheet glass, cut (grazed), enameled, stained, leaded. Rectangular, flat form, made of several pieces held together with lead caning, in a wood frame; depicting a young woman wearing a wrapped fabric turban, dressed in a long, flowing green dress, holding two coats of arms with creses: that at her left bearing a krutstrunk, with a six-pointed star above, displayed on a blue foliage-decorated field, with a helmet above, another krutstrunk and star as a crest, and with blue and white florid mantling; the arms at the right divided in half horizontally (per fesse), the lower portion red, with foliate enameling, the upper portion divided into three vertical bars (pal), the outer two black, the inner white, all with foliate decoration; with a helmet above, bearing as a crest a demi-figure of a man, white on his right side, red on his left; with red and white florid mantling; the area above and behind the woman amber with bold black enameled foliate damask pattern; at the sides, columns formed of naturalistic trees, the limbs growing into a five-cusped arch above the damask background; with leaves and large flowers growing from the limbs; the female figure depicted as standing on a purple floor of tile; the pieces held together with narrow lead caning, in a wide lead caning rim; held in a narrow wood frame with short nails.
Stained Glass Before 1700 in Upstate New York (2004) illustrated, pp. 75-78; Pl. 4; BIB# 86517
The Art of Glass: Masterpieces from the Corning Museum (1990) illustrated, unnumbered, above #57; BIB# 34085
Recent Important Acquisitions, 26 (1984) illustrated, p. 138, #6; BIB# AI13534
The Corning Museum of Glass Annual Report 1983 (1984) illustrated, pp. 6-7;