Perfume Flask with 2 Coat of Arms

Object Name: 
Perfume Flask with 2 Coat of Arms

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Perfume Flask with 2 Coat of Arms
Accession Number: 
69.1.2
Dimensions: 
Overall H: 6.2 cm, W: 4.8 cm, D: 2.9 cm
Location: 
On Display
Date: 
1200-1299
Primary Description: 
Colorless glass with yellowish tinge, bubbly with some stone, patches of slight surface iridescence; blown, enameled and gilt. Miniature omom; almost cylindrical neck spreads out into flat sided globular form; gilt collar on neck and rim; gilt and red enamel arabesque or "endless knot" below each shoulder; on one flat side within a gilt circle a white lion passant to the left with raised left paw and tail curved back on a red field and over a ground of alternating blue and yellow diagonal stripes; on the opposite side, within a gilt circle, a red or green lion passant to the left on a white field and over a ground of alternating red and yellow stripes; slightly kicked base; pontil mark.
Department: 
Provenance: 
Koutoulakis, Nicholas, Source
1969-01-03
Ispenian, M., Former Collection
Paravincini, M. C., Former Collection
Category: 
Venue(s)
Corning Museum of Glass 2004-11-18 through 2005-04-24
Corning Incorporated Gallery 2007-03-19 through 2007-08-25
Glass of the Sultans
Venue(s)
Benaki Museum
Metropolitan Museum of Art
 
Islam and the Medieval West
Venue(s)
University Art Museum, Binghamton 1975 through 1975
Title Unknown (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston)
Venue(s)
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston 1910 through 1910
 
Richard La Londe and Friends (2009) illustrated, p. 16, 29; BIB# 112312
Glass of the Sultans (2001) illustrated, p. 246, #122; BIB# 68105
Islam and the Medieval West (1975) no. G19; BIB# 18974
Recent Important Acquisitions, 12 (1970) illustrated, pp. 174-175, #24;
Museum of Fine Arts (1910) illustrated, p. 50-51;