This plate is an example of the transference of abstract painting onto glass. The glassworks at Skrdlovice, east of Prague, was known for its innovative methods of glassblowing. A production designer as well as a freelance artist, Vladimír Jelínek attended the Specialized School of Glassmaking in Kamenický Šenov from 1949 until 1952. He then trained under Josef Kaplický at the Academy of Applied Arts, graduating in 1958. Many glass factories, such as those at Škrdlovice, Nový Bor, Karolinka, and Karlovy Vary, employed his design capabilities. Noted for his willingness to experiment, Jelínek won many state awards and exhibited at major international glass shows. His work was on display at Expo ’58 in Brussels and at the XIIth Triennale in 1960 in Milan. At Expo ’67, in Montreal, he exhibited a large sculpture that was inspired by machines and modern technology.