Johann Anton Carli (d. 1682) is thought to have been originally trained as a painter of window glass. He was one of the few enamelers of Schwarzlot on glass who worked in Andernach am Rhein in the Rhine Palatinate during the second half of the 17th century. The center of Schwarzlot enameling at that time was Nuremberg, where Johann Schaper (fl. 1640–1670) was the leading practitioner. The cylindrical body of this beaker is painted in black with three circular cartouches displaying a half-length portrait of Christ holding an orb, with the fingers of his left hand raised in blessing. Also shown are a seascape with a sailing vessel and buildings on a peninsula, as well as a depiction of Saint John the Baptist with a lamb at his feet. John is holding a cross tied with a ribbon inscribed “ECCE AGN. DEI” (Ecce Agnus Dei, Latin for “Behold the Lamb of God [who takes away the sin of the world]”). These words, from John 1:29, are employed in the service of Holy Communion when the Host and chalice are displayed. Judging by its decoration, the beaker appears to have been made for church ceremonies, but it may instead have been decorated for a pious individual to use in a private home. For additional information on Schwarzlot painting, see Helena Hayward, “Some German Painted Glasses: Hans Schaper and the Decorators in Schwarzlot,” Antique Dealer and Collector’s Guide, v. 13, no. 10, May 1959, pp. 26–28; and Robert Schmidt, “Rheinische Schwarzlotmalereien des 17. Jahrhunderts,” Munchner Jahrbuch der Bildenden Kunst, v. 1, no. 3, 1950, pp. 231–234.