At the turn of the 20th century, the Pairpoint Corporation evolved from the merger of the Mt. Washington Glass Company and the Pairpoint Manufacturing Company, both of which were located in New Bedford and were owned by the same investors. Although Mt. Washington continued to make glass pieces and Pairpoint’s catalogs are full of silver-plated objects with no glass inserts, the two companies worked together to produce glass with silver mounts. Many such pieces were made by Mt. Washington in the 1880s, but their number increased greatly after the turn of the 20th century. The Pairpoint company kept current with modern design during the Art Deco period of the 1920s and 1930s, and it had agents in several cities around the country. It products, which were sold mostly through jewelry stores, are similar to the glass that was marketed by Steuben Glass of Corning and the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company of New York City during the same period. However, Pairpoint continued to specialize, as it had in the late 19th century, in glass pieces with silver-plated mounts, and it made more of them than any of its competitors. Pairpoint introduced its Fine Arts line, of which this vase is an example, about 1925, and it was in production for nearly a decade. Many Fine Arts pieces have marble bases and silver mounts. Pairpoint’s business, like that of many glass companies, was severely affected by the Great Depression of the 1930s, and the company closed in 1937. [247 words] For more on the Fine Arts line, see Kenneth M. Wilson and Jane Shadel Spillman, Mt. Washington and Pairpoint Glass, v. 2, Corning: The Corning Museum of Glass, 2011.