Glass Table and Boat (285)
Compagnie des Verreries et Cristalleries de Baccarat
Lead glass, bronze, silvered metal (steel probably), marble
H: 167 cm, L: 160 cm
At the 1900 World's Fair in Paris, the Parisian department store Le Grand Dépôt displayed a sculpture in the form of a boat. It was designed by Charles Vital Cornu (1851–1927), and created in glass and bronze by Baccarat.
Following the exposition, this sculpture remained in Baccarat's shop until purchased in 1930 by Sri Ganga Singhji Bahadur, the maharajah of Bikaner. It is housed today in the Lallgarh Palace in Bikaner.
Another boat produced by the factory remained there for some years, and it is not known when it was sold. It was part of a lot with a rectangular glass table that was offered for sale at a Parisian auction in 1979, and both of these objects are now in the collection of The Corning Museum of Glass. The company's records do not state when these pieces were united, but it seems likely that they were together in the Baccarat showroom after 1900, and they were probably purchased at that time.