Adjacent to The Studio, the Frederick Carder Gallery features an extensive collection of glass designed by Frederick Carder (1863–1963), a gifted English designer who managed Steuben Glass Works from its %%founding%% in 1903 until 1932. During this time, the production of Steuben changed from various types of colored glass to colorless glass.
Carder’s distinguished career in glassmaking extended from 1880 to the 1950s. The Carder Gallery displays his early pieces made at the English firm of Stevens & Williams, many of the objects he designed, as well as individual pieces he created in his retirement.
Some of the pieces in the Carder Gallery belong to The Corning Museum of Glass, but the majority is on loan to the Museum from the nearby Rockwell Museum of Western Art. Robert Rockwell, a Corning businessman and the founder of the Museum of Western Art, was a friend of Carder’s and a dedicated collector of all types of Carder’s Steuben glass. The gallery includes several thousand pieces, and it shows every type of Steuben glass that Carder created.