Collections Management Intern
The Corning Museum of Glass cares for and displays the world’s best collection of art and historical glass, encompassing 3500 years of history and more than 50,000 glass objects. The collections management intern will have the opportunity to shadow registrars, preparators and the Collections and Exhibitions Manager to get a varied understanding of the department’s role and responsibility within the museum.
- Assist in projects defined by Collections & Exhibitions Manager
- Assists registration team with data entry and inventory control
- Assists preparation team with general gallery maintenance and installations
- Attend communications, curatorial and collections management team meetings
- Attend object handling training taught by Chief Conservator
- Training with registration staff in the use and maintenance of the museum’s collection database system MIMSY
- Training with preparation staff to preform gallery maintenance, object movement, packing and object cleaning
Qualified applicants should be a current or recent student within museum studies, art history, history, or a related field. Prior experience in a museum setting desired. The chosen candidate must have the ability to work well in a team environment. Applicants must have good organizational skills and be sensitive to art material handling.
- $3,000 stipend for full-time position to help cover living expenses (summer only)
- 15% Discount in The Corning Museum of Glass Shops
- 15% Discount in The Corning Museum of Glass Café
- Free admission to the Museum for you and your guests
Applicant must provide a letter of intent, outline of independent coursework (to assess the student’s academic needs) and two academic references. Send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.