Rakow Research Library Public Services Internship
The Rakow Research Library, the world’s foremost library on the art and history of glass and glassmaking, is excited to offer an internship for a library science student interested in the area of public services. The successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to work with our diverse international patron base, ranging from grade school students to studio artists to advanced scholars. Intern will work with the Public Services Team, and the internship may be tailored to the strengths and/or interests of the individual intern.
The preferred candidate is energetic, outgoing, and dynamic. Applicants should have some practical experience with reference, instruction or interlibrary loan. The intern will have strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to work in a Windows environment is required.
- Gain experience in the area of public services
- Gain experience in reference and instruction
- Gain an understanding of the organization and inner workings of a specialized museum library
Other duties may be assigned
- Respond to basic reference queries, in person and virtually
- Assist in staffing the reference desk
- Project work with LibAnswers
- Project work creating LibGuides
- Conduct instruction sessions
- Participate in Outreach activities
Work & Educational Requirements
- Currently enrolled in a library or information science program
- Coursework, experience, or familiarity with reference, instruction, outreach, or interlibrary loan
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to work independently; ability to take direction; willingness to ask questions
- Ability to work in a Windows environment; proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to lift 25 pounds and push a book cart
This internship is available beginning in the Summer 2014. Ability to commit to at least 10–15 hours/week is preferred, but we can offer some flexibility regarding terms and hours. This internship is unpaid, but we will provide you with valuable work experience in a unique library setting. We are happy to work with your institution to arrange for course credit when possible.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.