Also known as: Addison glass factory with Fred Sutcliff
Notes on catalog card: 1 7/8 ips. Mono.
Oral history interview recorded by the Addison Knight Yorkers. Interview conducted by 2 or 3 young boys.
Based on recollections of Fred Sutcliff, the Addison glass company was originally founded as Mosaic Glass Company and was located in Fostoria, Ohio. The factory buildings were torn down and moved to Addison, NY around 1892-1893. Most of the products produced were pressed window tiles in various sizes and colors. Preserve jars and lantern globes were also manufactured there. Sutcliff discounts the rumors of cut glass ever being made there. He described the factory as being built of timber with galvanized roofing and brick flooring, with 2 chimneys (he shows the boys a picture of the factory). It included one large fire pot and lehrs for cooling the glass. Ten dollar gold pieces were sometimes thrown into the pot in order to tint the glass red. Sandstone used as a raw material was found locally in Addison. The factory went bankrupt and was torn down in 1909.
Sound tape reel.
Digitized from audio cassette by Sax Communications December 2010.
digitized 20130625 CMoG Digital file re-created from digitized CD made by Sax Communications.
Sound fades in and out.