[Design for stained glass window of kneeling Sir Galahad] [photograph].

Title: 
[Design for stained glass window of kneeling Sir Galahad] [photograph].
Author/Artist: 
Judson Studios (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Publisher: 
ca. 1930-1932.
Description: 
1 photo reproduction : ink on paper ; 36 x 28 cm
Other Authors: 
Wilson, Frederick, 1858-1932.
Format of Material: 
Photographs
Bib ID: 
111054
Find this in the library
Location: 
Secured Stacks - Archives (Non-Active)
Call Number: 
Judson Studios Collection of Frederick Wilson design drawings, Range 26, Bay 2, Shelf 1, Box 1, Folder 2
Notes: 
Drawing is of Sir Galahad, the son of Sir Lancelot, kneeling with rays of sun shining upon him as he holds his sword in one hand and rests the other hand across his heart. This design likely captures the moment when Galahad achieved the Holy Grail. Design based on the poem "The Idylls of the King" by Lord Alfred Tennyson.
"1909" -- hidden inside flying machine along bottom left; the date likely refers to the invention of the flying machine by Glenn Hammond Curtiss.
Various celtic knots and coats of arms border the design.
"Sir Galahad" -- written in black ink on verso.
"The Judson Studios" -- written in pencil along top left corner on verso; a Judson Studios label is affixed to bottom right corner of verso.
According to The Camelot Project at the University of Rochester, "stained glass windows depicting Galahad were often created (from roughly 1900 to 1930) to memorialize the deaths of young men, especially young men killed during the war".
According to Diane Wright, Master of Fine Arts, this design was drawn by Frederick Wilson (d. 1932). It was made into a finished window and installed in Garrett Memorial Chapel, Penn Yan, NY.
This item is part of the Judson Studios Photograph Collection of Frederick Wilson design drawings. See BIB 92302.
Judson Studios Photograph Collection of Frederick Wilson design drawings.
Digitized in-house September 2015.
Displayed in the exhibition titled "Drawings for American stained glass" held at the Rakow Research Library from May 17-December 31, 2010.
An embossed, rectangular border surrounds the design.