Each drawing is mounted on its own single sheet of paper; each sheet is labeled with a sequential number, though some numbers are missing, and probably once formed a complete scrapbook. Dimensions of paper are 56 x 35 cm. Often, drawing is folded and mounted in such a way that the tracing paper can be unfolded to reveal a drawing much larger than the 56 x 35 cm. paper mount.
This collection of designs documents the activities of Gallé's workshop in Nancy, France.
Materials sold at the Sotheby Parke Bernet Monaco auction on October 24, 1982 to Dr. Henry C. Blount, Jr. Portions of the materials were donated to the Museum by Dr. Blount in 1983 (RR 15024) and in 1993 (RR 18447); this Gallé drawings group 2 includes auction lot 28.
Digitized by Boston Photo Imaging May 2012.
These drawings, together with BIB 128598 [Gallé drawings group 1, furniture and art glass with botanical motif] and BIB 128605 [Gallé drawings group 3, art glass with botanical motif and table] are part of BIB 44716.
1. [Branches, leaves, and buds] --
2. [Branches, leaves, buds, and partially blossomed flowers] --
3. [Branches, leaves, and flowers in various stages of bloom] --
4. [Branches, leaves, and flowers in various stages of bloom] --
5. [Branches, flowers, and aerial view of four flowers along left] --
6. [Design for armoire with branches, leaves, and flowers] --
7. [Branches, leaves, and flowers in bloom] --
8. [Single branch with flower and leaf] --
9. [Single branch with flower and leaf] --
10. [Branch with numerous flowers and leaves] --
11. [Large flower with two smaller flowers; "Gallé, Nancy" designed at bottom] --
12. [Branches with numerous flowers and leaves] --
13. [Large palm-like leaves with smaller flowers] --
14. [Large leaves with flowers, "Gallé, Nancy" designed on lower left] --
15. [Vacant paper labeled "15", no drawing] --
16. [Fern-like plant with grasshopper on left and branch with leaves on right] --
17. [Spider web with five unattached leaves throughout] --
18. [Spider web on right with six unattached leaves throughout] --
19. [Fern-like plant with cricket, grasshopper, or other insect] --
20. [Grasses with frog and snail] --
21. [Grasses with winged insect and snails] --
22. [Five unattached leaves] --
23. [Four unattached leaves and three dandelions] --
24. [Eight unattached leaves with diagonal lines, possibly rain or wind] --
25. [Thistles with diamond pattern in background and alternating heart and trefoil pattern at bottom] --
26. [Thistles with diamonds stacked along left edge and heart-like shapes overlapping along bottom] --
27. ["Gardez les coeurs qu'avez gagnés, Gallé á Nancy" designed from top, along right edge, and bottom] --
46. ["Gallé, modèle et décor deposés"] --
47. ["Cristallerie de Gallé, Nancy"] --
48. ["Cristallerie de Gallé á Nancy"].