Indenture, or contract, on vellum for a tract of 13,500 acres of land near the Pine Creek waters of the Susquehanna River in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania in exchange for 7,087 pounds and 10 shillings of glassware, to be shipped in six installments to America. One-quarter of the glass would be flint and the other three-quarters would be crown.
"Dated 4th day of February 1797".
Samuel Parker joined his father, William Parker, in the family glass manufacturing business in 1784 and took it over in 1798. In 1803, Samuel Parker partnered with another glass manufacturer and formed Parker & Perry until 1817. Samuel's son, Samuel Parker, Jr., continued in the business as well. The Parkers were the principal lighting suppliers for George IV from 1784 until the 1820s. Samuel Parker, Jr. was employed at Buckingham Palace in the late 1820s and early 1830s.
Notable Acquisition 2013.
Purchase; Ian Simmonds; 2013; 1000132221.
Digitized, folded, in-house April 2013; at that time, the item was too fragile to be photographed unfolded.
Sent to Tatyana Duval May 2013 for conservation. Previously very brittle, the item was stored folded; the item was returned from conservation in October 2013 completely flat.
Sent to photography November 2013 (photography no. 1000132221).