Notable acquisition 2009.
Photographed January 2010 (Photography no. 2000014023).
Stained glass window design in six colors with leading shown on six main panels and twenty one smaller panels. A thin black border surrounds the drawing.
Founded in 1857, Clayton and Bell was one of the most prolific and proficient firms of English stained glass manufacturers during the latter half of the 19th century. The partners, John Richard Clayton and Alfred Bell, had a style characterized by elegant figural drawing which led to huge commercial success.
"Durham, Thorp memorial, 1/2 in. scale" -- written in black ink on upper left corner.
Sketch is very similar, but not identical to, installed window "Te Deum" unveiled February 25, 1869. Installed six-light window is of eight unidentified saintly figures and illustrates morning prayer anthem "We praise thee, O God". Center two lights are of Christ and remaining four lights are of martyrs, apostles, prophets, and church with labels "Te Deum Iaudamus".