Part of the collection of photographs in the Catherine Thuro archive.
Title taken from: Oil lamps : the kerosene era in North America, by Catherine Thuro, c1976 (BIB 19516, NK6196 .T54).
Kerosene burners, (from right) first burner; made by E. Miller and Co., second burner; made by Booth and Haydens, first patented by Michael collins in September of 1865, third burner; embossed with the words 'New Calcium Light' and '1870', fourth burner; described as the first of the prong type burners, patented February 1868 by A.C. Arnold and E. Blackman, fifth burner; embossed 'The Plume and Atwood Fireside', patented by Lewis J. Atwood.
"1216" written on verso.
Digitized by Boston Photo Imaging in October 2012.