The drawing is of a 7th century cone beaker decorated with six horizontal zigzag trails to form pattern of lozenges over most of body; another trail circles the beaker below the rim. Although the beaker itself is of transparent yellowish brown glass and decorated with yellowish trails, the drawing is colored as though transparent light green with trails' shading in brown.
The drawing is signed "Wm. Webster Hoare" and the annotations are signed "William P. Hoare F.R.C.P." at Colleyweston, Northants; both are dated "Feb. 2nd 1878".
The drawing and accompanying annotations documented the discovery of the beaker in The King's Field, Faversham, Kent in 1862. The King's Field was discovered in the 1858 as the site of an important Anglo-Saxon cemetery.
Faversham was the site of an Anglo-Saxon palace of the kings of Kent. That town was also where William P. Hoare practiced as a physician from 1838 to 1865.
The former owner of the beaker, P.T. Cooke, was the great-grandson of William P. Hoare and the great-nephew of William Webster Hoare. His family went to Australia with the beaker and accompanying watercolor around 1885; the beaker and watercolor were loaned to the Museum of the Applied Arts and Sciences in Sydney Australia in 1959.
The beaker is in the Museum's collection, accession number 85.1.4. The drawing was given the separate accession number 85.7.13; it was transferred to the library from the Museum's glass collection in 2008.