Published for the Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts.
Published in conjunction with the exhibition 'Women Designers in the U.S.A, 1900-2000: Diversity and Difference', held at The Bard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts, Design, and Culture, Nov. 15, 2000 - Feb. 25, 2001.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 436-450) and index.
Bead necklace by Joyce Scott (p. 220); glassware designed by Eva Lisa Saarinen Swanson (pp. 275-277), Freda Diamond (pp. 279-280), Frances Higgins (pp. 285-286), and Judy McKie (pp. 299-300); leaded stained glass by Marion Mahony (p. 306).
Prologue: American women in the twentieth century / Pat Kirkham, Sara A. Lichtman, and Eileen Boris --
1. Women designers in the USA, 1900-2000: diversity and difference / Pat Kirkham and Lynne Walker --
2. Women designers and the Arts and Crafts Movement / Wendy Kaplan --
3. The sacred hoop: Native American women designers / Pamela Kladzyk --
4. "Three strikes against me": African American women designers / Pat Kirkham and Shauna Stallworth --
5. "Wellpaying self support": women textile designers in the USA / Mary Schoeser and Whitney Blausen --
6. Tradition and transformation: women quilt designers / Jacqueline M. Atkins --
7. Women fashioning American fashion / Valerie Steele --
8. Women jewelry designers / Toni Greenbaum and Pat Kirkham --
9. Women metalsmiths / Jeannine Falino --
10. Designing Hollywood: women costume and production designers / Deborah Nadoolman Landis and Pat Kirkham --
11. In "A man's world": women industrial designers / Ella Howard and Eric Setliff --
12. Women furniture makers: from decorative designers to studio makers / Edward S. Cooke Jr. --
13. "A woman's place..."?: women interior designers --
1900-1950 / Pat Kirkham and Penny Sparke --
1950-2000 / Judith B. Gura --
14. Women landscape designers / Leslie Rose Close --
15. "Quietly fine"/Quietly subversive: women ceramic designers / Cheryl Buckley --
16. Colophon: women graphic designers / Ellen Lupton.