The Corning Museum of Glass: Notable Acquisitions 2011
This annual publication celebrates the 50 finest and most significant acquisitions made during the year by The Corning Museum of Glass, enhancing both the glass collection and the holdings of the Rakow Research Library.
The earliest object, a small container believed to have once held kohl (a cosmetic preparation for darkening the eyelids), is possibly from Egypt or the Levant, and dates from the seventh or eighth century. An elegant neoclassical vase (Berlin, Germany, about 1810) was made to imitate porphyry. Its design is attributed to Karl Friedrich Schinkel and is accentuated by beautiful bronze mounts made by the firm of Werner and Mieth. A large goblet engraved with an elaborate hunting scene is an important addition to our American collection. Made by T. G. Hawkes and Company, 1915–1921, the engraving was attributed to William Morse, one of the most skillful engravers in the United States in the early 20th century. And, the most notable glass acquisition is Les Hommes noirs (The dark men), a vase designed by Emile Gallé in collaboration with the painter and sculptor Victor Prouvé. Made in 1900, the vase presents dark and symbolic imagery related to an intense political scandal of the time. One of the highlights acquired by the Rakow Research Library is a magnificent grisaille watercolor design for a three-part Gothic window titled Death of Monica at Ostia, 387, designed by stained glass artist Frederick Wilson in 1896.
Each of the 50 acquisitions is beautifully illustrated and accompanied by a comment about their significance.