These blinds led to the arrival of glassmaking in Corning. Elias Hungerford, who patented the blinds in 1866, looked for a glass factory that would make them. He persuaded the owner of the Brooklyn Flint Glass Works to move to Corning, where both land and labor were less expensive. The original Corning factory was built on Walnut Street, where the headquarters of Corning Incorporated is located today. Hungerford's blinds were never manufactured. In its early years, Corning Glass Works concentrated on making blanks for cutting. This video features Jane Shadel Spillman, curator of American glass at The Corning Museum of Glass.