2 Vases

Warning message

Important Note

The Corning Museum of Glass is temporarily closed as we do our part to limit the spread of COVID-19. All previously scheduled classes, events, and programs are cancelled until further notice.

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
2 Vases
Accession Number: 
2010.3.142
Dimensions: 
Average Vase H: 46.6 cm, Diam: 16.7 cm
Location: 
Not on Display
Date: 
about 1882
designed in 1878
Web Description: 
These large vases are made of matte green glass that was painted and gilded with insects set within branches of polychrome oak leaves outlined in gilding and embellished with applied silvered and gilded acorns. The design was patented as pattern number 180 by Ludwig Moser in 1878, and it was frequently produced, as here on a vase with model number 580, by the Harrach glassworks in Bohemia in the 1880s. Other objects decorated with the same pattern were made of amber and blue glass, and they show a variety of additional elements, such as birds and human figures. Ludwig Moser (1833–1916), who was trained as a painter and engraver, established his first glasshouse in Karlsbad (Karlovy Vary) in 1857. As director and designer, Moser created many of the designs that were produced by glassblowers and decorators in both his own and collaborating workshops. The Moser company gained international visibility through its participation in several world’s fairs, and Moser worked with many leading manufacturers, including the Wiener Werkstätte and the Harrach glassworks, that designed or produced the objects that he sold. Inscribed “Moser 580 D.180.” For similar examples in this same pattern, see Jan Mergl and Lenka Merglová Pánková, Moser, 1857–1997, Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic: Moser, 1997, pp. 36–37, pls. 14–17; Gary Baldwin and Lee Carno, Moser: Artistry in Glass, 1857–1938, Marietta, Ohio: Antique Publications, 1988, pls. 46 and 48; and Mural K. Charon, Ludwig (Ludvik) Moser, King of Glass, Hillsdale, Michigan: Charon and Ferguson, 1984, pls. 46, 50, 63, and 214.
Department: 
Provenance: 
Bonhams, Source
2010-06-03
Inscription: 
Moser / 580 / D.180
signature
Gilded underside of foot
Primary Description: 
Globular form of matt turquoise-blue tinted glass with waisted neck and short knopped section over a spreading foot, painted and gilt with insects within branches of oak leaves outlined in gilding and with applied silvered and gilt acorns, below a gilt edged rim.
The Corning Museum of Glass: Notable Acquisitions 2010 (2011) illustrated, p. 42, #27; BIB# AI86878