Armorial Tumbler

Notice of Upcoming Content and Access Change

The Museum is working on the future of our online collections access. A new version will be available later in 2023. During this transition period, the current version of the Collections Browser may have reduced functionality and data may be not be updated. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For any questions or concerns, please contact us.

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Armorial Tumbler
Accession Number: 
Overall H: 13 cm; Rim Diam: 10.9 cm
On Display
about 1765
Credit Line: 
Purchased in part with funds from the F. M. Kirby Foundation
Web Description: 
This tumbler commemorates a union between members of the Richardson and Williamson families, presumably the Richardsons of Pencaitland and Smeaton near Perth in Scotland—possibly descendants of Sir Robert Richardson, who was the seventh baronet of Pencaitland (he died in Perth in 1752)—and the Williamsons of Cumberland in northwestern England. Alternatively, the glass may have been made for members of those families who lived in Durham, England. The object was enameled by William and Mary Beilby, members of a family of draftsmen who had founded a glass decorating workshop in the center of Newcastle in 1760. William (1740–1819) and his sister Mary (1749–1797), whom he taught to paint and enamel, as well as their brothers Ralph (1743–1817), an engraver and silversmith, and Thomas (1747–1826), a draftsman and enamel painter, are famed for their exceptional production of enameled glasses between 1761 and 1778. Their success followed the technical advances that William made in developing pigments with a flux that enabled him to fire enamel paints onto the surface of glass. The Beilbys are particularly noted for the armorial glasses they created from 1762 to 1769. For additional information on the Beilbys, see Simon Cottle, “William Beilby and the Art of Glass,” Glass Circle News, no. 74, February 1998, pp. 5–6; Frieder Ryser, Reverse Paintings on Glass: The Ryser Collection, ed. and trans. Rudy Eswarin, Corning: The Corning Museum of Glass, 1992; James Rush, A Beilby Odyssey, Olney, Bucks., U.K.: Nelson & Saunders, 1987; and James Rush, The Ingenious Beilbys, London: Barrie and Jenkins, 1973.
Bonhams, Source
Primary Description: 
Glass, enameled; blown. The flared cylindrical form painted with the arms of Richardson and Williamson below the crest of a bird with outstretched wings holding a wreath in its beak and standing on a coronet and helmet, all within a cartouche flanked by grasses, the reverse painted in opaque-white enamel with a spray of fruiting vine.
The Corning Museum of Glass Annual Report 2010 (2011) illustrated, p. 47; BIB# AI90243
The Corning Museum of Glass: Notable Acquisitions 2010 (2011) illustrated, p. 20, #10; BIB# AI86878