Covered Goblet

Warning message

Important Note

The Corning Museum of Glass is temporarily closed as we do our part to limit the spread of COVID-19. All previously scheduled classes, events, and programs are cancelled until further notice.

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Covered Goblet
Accession Number: 
2009.3.7
Dimensions: 
Overall H: 48.5 cm, Diam (max): 15 cm
Location: 
Not on Display
Date: 
about 1849
Web Description: 
Friedrich Egermann (1777–1864) was a painter on glass who founded a small workshop in Blottendorf, near Haida, in northern Bohemia in 1800. Aided by the chemist W. Hiecke, Egermann experimented extensively with various raw materials and compositions in order to find new methods of decorating glass. He invented an agate glass in 1809, a marbled glass in 1819, Lithyalin glass in 1829, and his own copper ruby glass in 1832. (Lithyalin, Egermann’s most widely recognized invention, is an opaque glass with a marbled surface that resembles semiprecious stones.) With these successes, Egermann was able to employ more glass painters and to establish an engraving shop, and he became one of Bohemia’s most famous glass decorators. Although he had varied interests and many talents, it seems unlikely that Egermann himself engraved the skillfully executed pieces that are signed with his name. Instead, he probably subcontracted that work to other engravers. His signature is therefore his company’s trademark rather than his personal mark. This large and finely engraved covered goblet was presented to Thaddaeus Krisch, a court adviser in Zwickau, Saxony, in 1849. The style of the decoration and the wording of the inscription suggest that Krisch received this elaborate gift in acknowledgment of services he had provided. Inscribed “Sr. Hoch und Wohlgeboren dem Herrn Herrn Thaddaeus Krisch k.k. Hofrath u. Oberdirektor der k.k.Fondsherrschaften.” For more on Egermann, see Carolus Hartmann, Das Glas im Raum Haida und Steinschönau, Bad Bayersoien: Art Glass Publisher, 2004, pp. 229–230; and Rudolf von Strasser and Walter Spiegl, Dekoriertes Glas: Renaissance bis Biedermeier, Munich: Klinkhardt & Biermann, 1989, pp. 136, 146, and 150– 152, and cat. nos. 305, 314, 320, 322, and 323.
Department: 
Provenance: 
Bonhams, Source
Color: 
Material: 
Inscription: 
Sr. Hoch und Wohlgeboren / dem Herrn Herrn / Thaddaeus Krisch / k.k. Hofrath u. Oberdirektor / der k.k.Fondsherrschaften
inscription
Engraved On front of goblet above engraved view of Zwickau
Fried. Egerman / Hayda
signature
Engraved On bottom of foot
Primary Description: 
Colorless glass blown and elaborately cut covered goblet, engraved with a rectangular panel having a view of Zwickau, inscribed “Sr. Hoch und Wohlgeboren dem Herrn Herrn Thaddaeus Krisch k.k. Hofrath u. Oberdirektor der k.k.Fondsherrschaften” and a coat-of-arms with the date 1849, signed on the side of the foot, “Fried. Egerman Hayda”. Cover, stem and foot are elaborately cut.
The Corning Museum of Glass: Notable Acquisitions 2009 (2010) illustrated, p. 31, #20; BIB# AI79879
Fine British and European Glass and Paperweights (2008-12-17) illustrated, p. 463, Lot #463; BIB# 6287