Engraved Tumbler with Three Dogs

Object Name: 
Engraved Tumbler with Three Dogs

Notice of Upcoming Content and Access Change

The Museum is working on the future of our online collections access. A new version will be available later in 2023. During this transition period, the current version of the Collections Browser may have reduced functionality and data may be not be updated. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For any questions or concerns, please contact us.

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Engraved Tumbler with Three Dogs
Accession Number: 
Overall H: 9.1 cm, Diam (max): 8.3 cm
On Display
Credit Line: 
Purchased with the assistance of The Karl and Anna Koepke Endowment Fund
Web Description: 
Several members of the Leighton family were employed at the New England Glass Company for much of the time that the firm was in business (1818–1888). Thomas Leighton, an English glassblower who was working in Edinburgh, Scotland, was hired in 1826 to be the chief gaffer or superintendent of the young New England company, and he was in charge of its production until his death in 1849. His son, John H. Leighton, who had been apprenticed at the age of 13, then directed the factory until 1874. John Leighton’s son, Henry, was born in 1837. In the early 1850s, he was trained as an engraver by Louis Vaupel, chief engraver of the New England firm. Henry began to work for the company in 1856, and then left to serve as a soldier during the Civil War. He returned to East Cambridge, but in 1877 he moved to the Meriden Flint Glass Company in Connecticut. He died in April 1878. The Museum has acquired a number of pieces that descended in the Leighton family. The most recent of these additions is this tumbler, which was owned by one of Henry Leighton’s descendants. According to that descendant, Henry engraved the piece either for himself or as a gift for a family member. The tumbler shows three images of dogs, each in a different pose. Like the two other engraved tumblers by Leighton in the Corning collection, it is an individual piece and not a standard pattern. One of those two tumblers shows a dog leaping at a tree, while the other depicts a hare and two dogs running through fields. Leighton’s hunting scenes have been characterized as “particularly vivid” and “amazingly clear and lifelike” (Watkins, pp. 122 and 126; see below). The association of the Leightons with the New England Glass Company is described in Lura Woodside Watkins, Cambridge Glass, 1818 to 1888: The Story of the New England Glass Company, Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1930, pp. 162–166. Henry Leighton is mentioned in Jane Shadel Spillman, “A Glass Engraver’s Design Book, 1860–1880,” The Magazine Antiques, v. 168, no. 2, August 2005, pp. 64–69.
Leighton, John H., Former Collection
Pike, Priscilla Leighton, Former Collection
Pike, Peter, Former Collection
White's Auctions, Former Collection
Cullity, Brian, Source
Primary Description: 
Colorless glass; blown, cut, engraved. Cylindrical tumbler tapering slightly towards thick base with panel-cut sides. Exterior wall decorated with three engraved images of dogs, each in a different pose.
The Corning Museum of Glass Annual Report 2011 (2012) p. 8;
The Corning Museum of Glass: Notable Acquisitions 2011 (2012) illustrated, pp. 28-29; BIB# AI87745
Notes: Corning Museum Makes Major Additions to Glass, Library Collections (2012) illustrated, p. 276, no. 18; BIB# AI92535