Jug with Coat of Arms of a Medici Pope

Object Name: 
Jug with Coat of Arms of a Medici Pope

Warning message

Important Note

The Corning Museum of Glass is temporarily closed as a precautionary measure for public health and safety. All previously scheduled classes, events, and programs are cancelled until further notice.

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Jug with Coat of Arms of a Medici Pope
Place Made: 
Accession Number: 
2005.3.28
Dimensions: 
Overall H: 19.8 cm, W: 17.1 cm, Diam (max): 17.1 cm; Rim Diam (max): 9.65 cm
Location: 
On Display
Date: 
1513-1534
Credit Line: 
Purchased with funds from the Houghton Endowment Fund
Web Description: 
The coat of arms indicates these objects belonged to a pope from the powerful Medici family, either Leo X (1513–1521) or Clement VII (1523–1534). The Medici were the ruling family of Tuscany, Italy, from the mid-1400s until the early-1700s.
Department: 
Provenance: 
Biemann, Fritz, Former Collection
Private Collection in The Netherlands, Former Collection
Fish, Christopher, Source
2003
Category: 
Primary Description: 
Jug with Coat of Arms of Medici Pope. Colorless, translucent blue. Blown; applied, tooled. Globular body with waisted neck rising to widened rim with applied lip wrap tooled to form circular opening indented with pointed spout, and flat base with applied foot-ring and pronounced kick with pontil mark. Solid, ear-shaped handle applied to bulb with large glue-bit extending below joint, with tip profiled with pincers; handle joins wrapped band, both in translucent blue glass, around neck about 1.25 cm below rim. Body is decorated, on each side, with square web pattern in red enamel filled with yellow, blue, and white enamel dots. Front shows coat of arms of Medici family of Florence, crowned by papal tiara with crossed keys, rendered in yellow, red, blue, and white enamel paints. Neck is decorated with gilded band around rim and with minute traces of gilding on top of blue wrap. Shoulder is decorated with frieze of gilding scratched into lozenges adorned with blue enamel dots. Frieze is bordered, above and below, with red enamel dots. Back of handle and foot-ring are cold-painted with bronze color; former is also adorned with scale pattern in red.
Venue(s)
Corning Museum of Glass
Changing Exhibitions Gallery
Venue(s)
Corning Museum of Glass 2004-05-13 through 2004-10-17
 
Medieval Glass for Popes, Princes, and Peasants (2010) illustrated, p. 245, #123; BIB# 115588
The Corning Museum of Glass Annual Report 2005 (2006) illustrated, p. 9; BIB# AI90241
Recent Acquisitions (2006) illustrated, p. 11; BIB# AI69872