Pokal with Cut Stars

Object Name: 
Pokal with Cut Stars

Warning message

Important Note

The Corning Museum of Glass is temporarily closed as we do our part to limit the spread of COVID-19. All previously scheduled classes, events, and programs are cancelled until further notice.

What is AAT?

The Art & Architecture Thesaurus (AAT) (r) is a structured vocabulary for generic concepts related to art and architecture. It was developed by The Getty Research Institute to help research institutions become consistent in the terminology they use.Learn More

Object Name: 
Pokal with Cut Stars
Accession Number: 
2010.3.134
Dimensions: 
Overall H: 22.7 cm, Diam (max): 17.1 cm
Location: 
On Display
Date: 
about 1919-1920
Web Description: 
This rare Art Deco Pokal is the first example of the work of the Austrian designer Dagobert Peche to enter the Museum’s collection. Peche was an important early 20th-century designer who was associated with the Wiener Werkstätte (Vienna Workshops). Eclectic and prolific, he created more than 3,000 designs for ceramics, glass, furniture, sculpture, jewelry, textiles, and wallpaper for the famous Austrian design collective. He also designed interiors. In 1906, Peche enrolled in the Technische Hochschule (Technical College) in Vienna, where he studied architecture, and two years later he continued his studies at the Academy of Fine Arts. He admired Baroque and Rococo painting and decorative arts, and he was greatly inspired by the British illustrator Aubrey Beardsley (1872–1898). After spending a couple of years in Paris, Peche met Josef Hoffmann in Vienna in 1911, and he began to work as a freelance textile designer for the Wiener Werkstätte. His earliest designs were influenced by the simple shapes and geometric decoration favored by the Werkstätte’s founders, Hoffmann and Kolomon Moser. After Peche joined the Werkstätte in 1915, his designs became increasingly decorative and visually complex, and he was influential in defining the Austrian Art Deco style. From 1917 to 1919, he was based in Zurich, where he was put in charge of a new branch of the Wiener Werkstätte. Peche returned to Vienna, where he died in 1923, at the age of 36. Although the aim of the Wiener Werkstätte was to provide simple, well-designed objects for everyday use, Peche considered ornament to be essential to the decorative arts, and his designs were known for their originality, exuberance, and playfulness. Signed “WW” on underside of foot. This vase was one of an edition of 11. Published in Gustav E. Pazaurek, Kunstgläser der Gegenwart, Leipzig: Klinkhardt & Biermann, 1925, p. 154, no. 162. See also Waltraud Neuwirth, Wiener Werkstätte: Avantgarde, Art Déco, Industrial Design, Vienna: Neuwirth, 1984, p. 169, no. 127.
Provenance: 
Galerie Bei der Albertina, Source
2010-08-03
Material: 
Inscription: 
WW
signature
underside
Primary Description: 
Pokal with Cut Stars. Purple, white, and colorless glasses; cased, mold-blown and cut. Purple glass overlaid with white. Open bowl of inverted dome shape on sloping foot, with a merese at the join; thick cold-worked rim. Star shapes cut into exterior white glass, revealing purple glass beneath. Marked "WW" on the underside.
Glass of the Architects: Vienna, 1900-1937
Venue(s)
Corning Museum of Glass 2018-06-23 through 2019-01-06
Today, we think of architects as people who design buildings, construct skylines, and help create the visual identities of our cities and towns. But at the turn of the 20th century in Europe, the term architect applied not just to people who designed buildings, but to people who designed all aspects of interior decoration. They believed their role was to seamlessly integrate a modern aesthetic into all aspects of daily life. For these architects, furniture, ceramics, textiles, and glass, played an essential role in completing their new artistic vision. Glass of this period emerged from a confluence of ideas, individuals, and cultures, and reflected a spirit of modernity. Glass of the Architects: Vienna, 1900–1937 explores this transformative period in Austrian design. Approximately 170 objects, including the installation of Josef Hoffmann’s complete room, Boudoir d’une grande vedette (first displayed at the 1937 Paris World Exhibition), illustrate the immense variety of techniques and varied aesthetics of Austrian glass during this period. Together, architects and designers built upon existing traditions of glassmaking by leveraging the network of design and technical schools, and relying on manufacturers, retailers, and exhibitions to promote and disseminate their ideas on a global scale. Glass of the Architects: Vienna, 1900–1937 is a cooperation of the MAK and LE STANZE DEL VETRO. At the MAK and LE STANZE DEL VETRO, the exhibition was curated by Rainald Franz, MAK Curator, Glass and Ceramics Collection.
Modern Austrian Glass: Selections from the Corning Museum of Glass (2019) illustrated, pp. 66-67;
The Corning Museum of Glass: Notable Acquisitions 2010 (2011) illustrated, p. 51, #34; BIB# AI86878
Kunstglaser der Gegenwart (1925) p. 154, #162; BIB# 25360