[Eastman memorial windows at Park Church] [art original].

[Eastman memorial windows at Park Church] [art original].

Notice of Upcoming Content and Access Change

The Museum is working on the future of our online collections access. A new version will be available later in 2023. During this transition period, the current version of the Collections Browser may have reduced functionality and data may be not be updated. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For any questions or concerns, please contact us.

1 computer file.
Format of Material: 
Bib ID: 
Find this in the library
Digital Image
Call Number: 
No call number available
Three stained glass window panes, two large ones at bottom with small, inverted triangular one at top. Stained glass window at left is of a man, probably Saint Paul, in red costume standing atop steps, in front of two columns, preaching before small crowd. His right hand is raised with his forefinger pointing to the sky; his left hand points downward. Window is wide at bottom, curving upward in an arch, and comes together at a point at the top. The window is probably of St. Paul preaching on Mars Hill. Stained glass window at right is of a man, possibly Peter, also in red costume, among crowd; crowd appears to be gazing upward. Three columns are in background. This cartoon is possibly "Peter baptizing Cornelius". Small pane at top is of white columned building. A think border, filled with foliage, frames each of the three windows.
These stained glass windows were created as a memorial to the Reverend Samuel Elijah Eastman and his wife Reverend Annis Ford Eastman; together they were joint pastors of The Park Church in Elmira, New York from 1900 until Annis Eastman's death in 1910. "In memory of Samuel Elijah Eastman and of this church whose loving and sympathetic spirits" appears below scene on left. "Annis Ford Eastman, co-workers & ministers have ever been a benediction." appears below scene on right.
The larger two panes were created from cartoons that are part of a collection of over 1800 rolled, full-scale design drawings from the Whitefriars Glass Company, formerly Powell and Sons (1834-1980).
Whitefriars stained glass windows. Park Church